forum.netbsd.se - NetBSD Sweden

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-02 15:22:34

Riba

Problem when installing from source

I have a Sun Sparc Station 5 which I want to turn into a NetBSD based web server. I had no previous experience with NetBSD, but I did read all the relevant docs to avoid asking really stupid questions.
Basically I need to install apache 1.3, PHP and mysql at minimum. I have studied the pkgsrc docs, and tried to build everything up from sources because it seems that there are no binary packages for the stuff I need. I have managed to build some basic dependencies (expat, libtool, etc...) but the build process chokes on the bigger stuff, for example apache. I have downloaded the most recent pkgsrc tar archive, and in the future I'm planning to set up a CVS for updating it. I'm really hoping to be able to solve this because so far I liked the setup and the installation of the OS was smooth, and I don't want this problem to force me to go the Linux route.
Keep in mind that I do have UNIX experience, but I have never installed by building from the source, so I'm a bit lost here, and don't know where to start troubleshooting this.

A few quick pointers for the stuff I might want to change/check/verify in such cases would be most welcome.
mysql and PHP4 also failed, but let's take it one step at a time.

I hope I'll fix this and become a regular here. smile

#2 2004-09-02 15:46:13

fredrik
Administrator
Website

Re: Problem when installing from source

Hi,
What version of NetBSD are you running?
try to update your pkgsrc collection to the latest cvs version.

if you are running bash (if not use setenv instead):
export CVSROOT=anoncvs@anoncvs.se.netbsd.org:/cvsroot
export CVS_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh
cd /usr
cvs co -P pkgsrc

Its strange if all these packets fail because this forum is running on a similar setup
Sun sparcstation 5
NetBSD 1.6.1
mysql/apache/php

#3 2004-09-02 16:34:11

Riba

Thanks for the answer! I especially like the fact that you are running the same setup smile
I installed the latest one (1.6.2) from the iso image. After that I installed the bash with pkg_add and then proceeded with the apache/mysql/PHP.
I tried setting up CVS by building CVS from source but it failed on 'make install' because of a type (someone wrote /dgvel/.. instead of /devel/.. smile), but I think I can still set it up. I did some research and found suggestions to update the pkgsrc...I did install the latest one available as a tar archive for download, only few days old.
Still, the failure rate seems way to high for packages that should be widely used. Not sure what I can try, are there any specific settings that I should be aware of?
The specific hardware is Sun Netra i with 110 MHz processor if that makes any difference, but the hardware is the same as Sparc Station 5.
I'll keep trying to bring this setup up until weekend, after that I'll have to resort to Gentoo or something because the time is running out sad

Did you also install from sources?

Update, just tried to install CVS, and it failed:
source='io.c' object='io.o' libtool=no  depfile='.deps/io.Po' tmpdepfile='.deps/io.TPo'  depmode=gcc /bin/sh ../depcomp  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../lib   -I/usr/include  -O2 -I/usr/include -c `test -f 'io.c' || echo './'`io.c
In file included from diff.h:21,
                 from io.c:18:
../lib/regex.h:359: parse error before `wnsigned'
../lib/regex.h:359: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
../lib/regex.h:363: parse error before `:'
In file included from io.c:18:
diff.h:101: field `buf' has incomplete type

Huh... sad

Update 2: Does it make sense to install 1.6.1??

Last edited by Riba (2004-09-02 17:00:07)

#4 2004-09-02 17:47:50

fredrik
Administrator
Website

Yes we install everything from source, no dont install 1.6.1.

#5 2004-09-02 19:41:31

Riba

sad I guess the big question is: why am I experiencing problems? I even strated suspecting a bad drive, but that might be stretching it too far.

#6 2004-09-03 16:12:52

Riba

Hah, it does seem that the drive is the culprit. Yesterday I tried to install Gentoo Linux and it hung twice on disk I/O while untaring the base system.
I will get a new drive and give NetBSD another go.

#7 2004-09-05 20:42:06

fredrik
Administrator
Website

Lets hope the new drive is going to work better smile

#8 2004-09-05 21:27:23

Riba

Yet another update smile
After 4 days of troubleshooting, it was not the drive, but the bad memory module! Looking back, it was kind of obvious considering I was getting errors on stack-intensive operations like compiling and unarchiving jobs. I had 160 MB inside, now it is on 128 MB and running smoothly, I already installed some packages with zero problems, excpet for the fact that it takes ages to compile. I guess an Ultra is in order smile
In any case, thanks! smile

#9 2004-10-22 06:18:07

Riba

fredrik, a question...you mention that you are using a sparcstation 5 to serve this forum. I have the server up and running now, nut I am quite disappointed by the performance. It seems that Pentium I / 133 MHz mochine the site is currently running on outperforms the sparcstation 5/110 MHz quite significiantly. Is is possible that I overestimated its processing power? I've got 256 MB of RAM in there and a 10k rpm SCSI drive.
When I connect to the server locally I can feel it hesitates a bit. Looking at the 'top' I can observe that mysqld is taking up to 30% of CPU, while on the Pentium machine (running Linux) it takes only 3-4 %. I know this is an ancient machine but I really thought it would outperform the old Pentium. Maybe the problem lies elsewhere? How does it look like on your sparc? Tnx!

#10 2004-10-24 17:02:25

fredrik
Administrator
Website

It's not the fastest machine but it does the job. Mysql rarely takes more than 3-4 % on this machine and its a sparcstation 5/170 MHz with 98MB ram and 2x2GB disk (dont know what kind of interface). How mutch cpu your machine will consume depends on how big your database and how many querys it handles. Maybe something on the machine is broken?  you can try to optimize the mysqld, according to the manual a strip on the mysqld can speed up the database by 4%.

Optimize the mysqld:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Compi … tions.html

cpu flags can also speed things up (after installing this you need to recompile mysql):
http://pkgsrc.netbsd.se/?cat=search&pkg=32574

#11 2004-10-24 17:02:30

fredrik
Administrator
Website

It's not the fastest machine but it does the job. Mysql rarely takes more than 3-4 % on this machine and its a sparcstation 5/170 MHz with 98MB ram and 2x2GB disk (dont know what kind of interface). How mutch cpu your machine will consume depends on how big your database and how many querys it handles. Maybe something on the machine is broken?  you can try to optimize the mysqld, according to the manual a strip on the mysqld can speed up the database by 4%.

Optimize the mysqld:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Compi … tions.html

cpu flags can also speed things up (after installing this you need to recompile mysql):
http://pkgsrc.netbsd.se/?cat=search&pkg=32574

Board footer