forum.netbsd.se - NetBSD Sweden

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-13 23:52:28

levanel

A gui for compilin' kernels?

I'm sorta' used to using adjustkernel to spit out configurations for my system but am not sure about editing the file line by line. Is there a "gui" for such actions, similar to slackware's menuconfig?

:)

#2 2004-05-14 10:20:43

mikael

Re: A gui for compilin' kernels?

As far as I know, it does not exist any gui tool when configuring the kernel in NetBSD. Not provided by the system or by pkgsrc.

#3 2005-12-20 21:18:53

micke

I'm putting this old thread on top again wink.
I'm currently working on an interface for building NetBSD from source. It's based on curses and if time allows it, a Tcl/Tk interface will be done too. The project is scheduled to be complete late january, early februari, but that doesn't mean that it's ready for prime time.

#4 2005-12-21 00:13:37

asemisldkfj

micke wrote:

I'm putting this old thread on top again wink.
I'm currently working on an interface for building NetBSD from source. It's based on curses and if time allows it, a Tcl/Tk interface will be done too. The project is scheduled to be complete late january, early februari, but that doesn't mean that it's ready for prime time.

not sure if it would help in any way, but I wrote a script that helps with source updates of NetBSD.  there's quite a bit of room for improvement though smile.

http://forum.netbsd.se/viewtopic.php?id=212

#5 2005-12-21 09:17:34

micke

I saw that, cool. It's a project that's part of a course I'm taking, and if the application reaches a semi-useful state I'm looking for people who can test it and make suggestions for improvments. I'm not a real programmer but I hope it's somewhere close to looking and working like a "real" application. wink

#6 2005-12-22 00:09:37

asemisldkfj

I'd be glad to test it once it's near completion.  let me know.

#7 2005-12-22 04:45:12

elip

Not sure I understand...why does one need a gui to edit the config file?  Or do you mean, some application that will give you help information, for each piece of the kernel config like Linux's menuconfig?  What other functionality are you looking for?

#8 2005-12-24 09:04:42

micke

It will sort of "auto"-configure the kernel configuration file, like adjustkernel. But it also tries to create a template with all available options, drivers and pseudo-drivers for a specified platform (just for fun ;-). You can choose if you just wan't to se the kernel configuration file or both to be able to activate/inactivate options and drivers. I will try to link every line in the kernel file against proper man-page, making it easier to find information. It will also give you a way of configure a make configuration, handle source and build the system, kernel or whatever part build.sh allows you to do.

As a summary, it's a wrapper for build.sh and cvs with some additional functionallity. I don't know if it's any clearer now, but hopefully you will be able to try it out and come with pointers and improvments. :-)

Board footer