forum.netbsd.se - NetBSD Sweden

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » NetBSD 2.1 with a SS20;3 X 90 MHz Hypersparc´s; 540 Mb RAM, hme0..

#1 2005-12-11 00:09:19

Max_Headroom

NetBSD 2.1 with a SS20;3 X 90 MHz Hypersparc´s; 540 Mb RAM, hme0..

..is my Pride & Joy.
Agreed, slow by todays standards, but a piece of mechanical engineering that todays thing-o-plastics can only dream of!

Unfortunately for the computer, it has wound up in my hands. I come from the land of Mac OSX, where all the nasty under-the-hood-stuff is hidden away.

Now, my aim is to put a generic.MP kernel inside.
To have X-windows running a point-and-click desktop with openofice, mail and maybe primitive multimedia.
To have the computer understand that I want to display swedish & mandarin fonts on the screen and a swedish-only keyboard.

I have a 38 GB HD in a separate diskdrive outside the pizzabox (heard there was a problem with heatbuildup) and a ISP that delivers 10 Mb ethernet DHCP through the happymeal NIC.

What I have done (I think) is installed the bare-bones NetBSD 2.1 with the generic 1 processor kernel & all the support libraries available on the CD.
I have a correct time & timezone.
I have configured the rc.conf with "dhclient=YES" and "wscons=YES" (the latter in the hope of magically enabeling the swedish keyboardmapping).
I have configured wscons.conf with keyboard autodetect; swedish keymapping (something which is completely ignored by my Sparc...or maybe my keyboard?).

I have tried using the pkg_add-method described in the manuals to download new shells and gnome, but all I get is a long message, telling me (I believe) to stop trying doing something as stupid as that.
I have tried the ping-command on CNN´s homepage, which seems to work.

I´d be most gratefull if someone could advice me what the next step should be, bearing in mind I know blissfully little of Unix in general and NetBSD in particular.
I have acquired a little knowledge of vi, so I know how to edit different xx.conf-files, but that´s about it.

Cheers!

Magnus
Stockholm / Sweden

Tage Danielsson; "Utan Tvivel Är Man Inte Klok"

#2 2005-12-11 11:50:43

mikael

Re: NetBSD 2.1 with a SS20;3 X 90 MHz Hypersparc´s; 540 Mb RAM, hme0..

Use 'pkg_add -v' to get a more verbose printout. If you Internet connection is ok, pkg_add should work out of the box.
It is recommended not only to rely on binary packages, but to use pkgsrc as well. So I would recommend you to start with pkgsrc as a next step. Sometimes, the app you want to install does not exist as a binary, only as source.

#3 2005-12-11 18:18:01

ceh

Max_Headroom wrote:

I have tried using the pkg_add-method described in the manuals to download new shells and gnome, but all I get is a long message, telling me (I believe) to stop trying doing something as stupid as that.

Please help us help you by providing the entire error message and output of your install attempt.

#4 2006-01-22 00:30:16

Max_Headroom

I´d be happy to hand over all of the dmesg-info (which is what I believe you need me to post, or are there any more info needed?).

However, maybe I ought to start my asking this; is there any manuals available, on how to proceed after a (hopefully) successfull bare-bones install, written in a way for a newbie to understand?

I have ried using the sushi-program, which seems to create moer problem than it solves.

I have come to believe in the stability and security of NetBSD. And its one of the few unix-flavours which claims  to be able to run SMP with Hypersparcs. But the learningcurve sure starts to look awfully steep...

Cheers/Magnus

Tage Danielsson; "Utan Tvivel Är Man Inte Klok"

#5 2006-01-22 11:39:52

ceh

Max_Headroom wrote:

I´d be happy to hand over all of the dmesg-info (which is what I believe you need me to post, or are there any more info needed?).

The dmesg is probably not needed. It's the specific error message printed on the screen when you tried to install packages with the pkg_add command.

Max_Headroom wrote:

However, maybe I ought to start my asking this; is there any manuals available, on how to proceed after a (hopefully) successfull bare-bones install, written in a way for a newbie to understand?

See the manual page afterboot(8). man 8 afterboot

Max_Headroom wrote:

I have ried using the sushi-program, which seems to create moer problem than it solves.

Sushi is an unfinished project which seems to be fairly broken. My simple advice; don't use it.

• Index
  •  » Support
  •  » NetBSD 2.1 with a SS20;3 X 90 MHz Hypersparc´s; 540 Mb RAM, hme0..

Board footer